Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Toilet Paper Hearts Tutorial...

Hi Everyone!  Lydia here and today I would like to show you how to make 3D hearts out of toilet paper.  I first made these with my sister-in-law and have made them for several projects now.  They are fun and easy to make.

Supplies you will need are:

*Parchment Paper (Baker's paper)
*Toilet Paper (any kind.....here I have some really cheap thin stuff!)
*Mod Podge (or similar glue)
*Foam Paint Brushes
*Acrylic Paint



Begin by tearing off several squares of toilet paper.  The number you will need depends on how big you want your heart to be or how many you want to make.  Toilet paper will stick to gluey fingers if trying to tear off more after you've begun glueing.  :)




Dip the foam brush in the Mod Podge and apply a generous amount to the toilet paper square.  I squish it around to get all the glue into the paper.  Lay the paper on the parchment paper and start to form the heart.  




 Continue this step until the heart is complete and shaped the way you would like it to be.


Again, the size of the hearts will depend on how many sheets of toilet paper you have used.   




The hearts will need to dry on the parchment paper over night.  I have found that best rather than try to dry them with a heat tool.  In the morning, I turn the hearts over so the bottoms can dry.  They are usually ready to paint within 24 hours of making them.  If there are rough edges of dried glue, just trim them with scissors.




Use a foam brush to apply acrylic paint to the hearts.  Since the hearts are 3D and the surface not smooth, I find it best to dab the paint onto them.




When the paint has dried, the hearts are ready to be used on your project or add a second color of paint/mist/ink to them.



Here are some recent projects I have made using toilet paper hearts.  I use Mod Podge to adhere them to my projects.  You could also use a hot glue gun.


  








I hope you have enjoyed my tutorial on toilet paper hearts.  Make sure you stop by the Frosted Designs blog to play along with all the challenges and meet the new Design Team.  I would love to see your toilet paper hearts.  Link your project up here on my blog or my post on the FD blog so I can check them out.  Thanks for stopping by!

~Make your day a beautiful one~

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this tutorial!! What an awesome idea!! I love how much texture is in those hearts! Thanks for sharing Lydia!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me some commenting love. I read each and every comment made. :)