Thursday, April 22, 2010

Rain and thunder

Rain, rain, and more rain. The rain stopped and the sun made a feeble attempt to come out around 5:00 this afternoon. More rain is expected for tomorrow. This forcast doesn't dampen my spirit at all though. Actually, I love the rain. Today was especially nice since the rain was accompanied by thunder.

Hearing thunder takes me back to when I was a kid. I remember my mom telling me that I would ask her to open my window so I could hear the thunder better. Side note, I also liked to have a lamp on so I wouldn't see the lightening. Thanks, Mom! : ) Back to the thunder.....I also have memories of thunder in the Colorado Rockies. We would camp there each summer. Almost every afternoon it would rain and with the rain would come thunder. Boy, to hear the thunder roll across those mountains. When I close my eyes, I can still hear it. What a sound!

While in New Zealand fall of 2008, I remember one particular tea (our dinner) where our host asked us to stop talking. It had been raining and with it came thunder. One little roll of it. That was all. He commented that although rain comes daily, thunder does not come very often.

So today when the thunder came, I stopped and listened. Soaking up that sound. Letting it roll through me and take me to my memories. I suppose one day I'll be in New Zealand and hear a thunder roll and remember the days of listening to thunderstorms with my windows open. Tomorrow I'm hoping for rain. More accurately, I'm hoping for thunder!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me some commenting love. I read each and every comment made. :)